FCC Political Advertising and Broadcast Rules
New York 2019 Election Season Schedule
The election season in 2019 will be a busy one. NYSBA will keep you informed of all the latest developments. The political calendar for New York is as follows:
Election Date: 2020 TBD
Lowest Unit Rate Period Begins: 2020 TBD
Additional information regarding New York State and Federal elections can be found on the board of elections website. To access the website click HERE.
Political Rules Webcasts
The FCC’s political rules are complex. The follow webcasts that will explain not only the basics but some of the more complex questions that may arise during a campaign.
Political Broadcast Rules Webinar--January 18, 2018
On January 18, 2018, we hosted a Webinar in association with the Colorado Broadcasters Association for member station. We are now providing stations with access to that webinar updating the FCC’s Political Broadcasting Rules. The webinar featured attorneys from the noted law firm of Fletcher Heald and FCC Attorney Bobby Baker, who is the Commission’s leading expert in this area.
Topics covered include:
- Lowest unit rate calculation for various classes of time and day parts.
- Equal Opportunities (sometimes called equal time) requirements and what programs are “exempt”?
- Are political ads streamed on the internet affected?
- When can broadcasters edit or turn down political ads?
- How to handle “issue” ads from PACs, an expected big revenue source in 2018?
- What political file recordkeeping is needed to avoid complaints and fines?
- What are requirements for uploading of political files to the FCC’s “publicly” available website?
- How can uploading of a political file potentially hurt a station?
To access the archived webinar click HERE.
December 17, 2015 Archived Webcast
For those of you who missed the webcast it was archived. You may view the webcast by clicking HERE.
February 9, 2012 Archived Webcast
While this webcast covers a previous election cycle, the basic information is applicable today.
Political Broadcasting Primer
Our friends at Pillsbury Winthrop, Shaw Pittman LLP have produced an excellent primer on the FCC’s political rules. The primer summarizes all the rules you need to know for this political season. To see a copy of the new primer click HERE.
NAB Political Agreement Forms
NAB’S POLITICAL AGREEMENT FORM IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE ON THE FCC WEBSITE. TO DOWNLOAD THE FORM CLICK HERE.