Job Overview: As a news anchor, you will be responsible for selecting stories for broadcast, researching, writing and gathering newscast content.
You are also responsible for presenting live on TV and unscripted and scripted news reports in an interesting, informative and unbiased way.
- Job Responsibilities:
Collaborate with the news director and news managers to choose stories to broadcast considering audience preferences.
- Attend daily news editorial meetings with reporters and other news anchors to be briefed on the day’s news.
- Write, revise and prepare scripts to deliver them on-air.
- Organize the news to present the most interesting pieces first, ensure late-breaking news is added to newscasts.
- Introduce news reporters live on scene and ask relevant questions.
- Pitch story ideas and turn content for the newscasts.
- Interview guests and other members involved in particular stories engaging in commentary.
- Maintain extensive community contacts and awareness of local, state and national current events.
- Keep abreast of news developments by studying papers, attending events, and staying in contact with industry
- Write for station’s website and maintain an active social media presence.
- Make promotional and community appearances.
- Provide newsroom leadership and contribute to overall team effort.
- Act in a professional manner when representing the station.
- Comply with the moral code of the journalistic profession.
- Report to work on time and work established schedule/hours. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules as needed
or assigned by the News Director.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Bachelors in Communication, Journalism or related field with 2 years of experience as a television news anchor; or a combination of
education and experience to meet the requirements of the position.
- Quick and effective decision making, live ad-libbing and maintaining performance under extreme pressure.
- Highly developed public speaking and interpersonal skills along with exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Professional, consistent on-air appearance and ability to read Teleprompter.
- Advanced abilities in critical thinking.
- Broad knowledge of local, national and international affairs (e.g. political, economic, legislative and cultural).
- Comfortable yet professional presence on camera with the ability to improvise in a live on-camera setting.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Available to work on a flexible schedule including working nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions and strict deadlines.
- Maintain appropriate and strict standards regarding wardrobe, hair, cosmetics and grooming.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and safe driving history as determined by the Company. Driving record will be checked.
EEO Statement: We are an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.adp.com.