Last week, a federal judge ordered New York State to reinstate its June 23rd presidential primary that had been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, granting a preliminary injunction to former Democratic candidate Andrew Yang in his proposed class action. We expect New York State to appeal. So for now, the election is back on. The lowest unit rate for the presidential primary began May 9th.
This decision has no impact on other primaries. The primary elections for other federal and state offices will be held as planned on June 23, 2020. The starting date for the Lowest Unit Rate period for the down ballot primaries will remain on May 9th.
In addition the special elections in the following districts will go on as planned:
- 27th Congressional District – Formerly occupied by Congressman Chris Collins. This includes Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming and Livingston Counties, as well as parts of Monroe, Niagara and Ontario counties.
- 12th NY Assembly District – Long Island including Northport, Huntington and Melville.
- 31st NY Assembly District – Long Island Queens County including the Far Rockaway’s
- 136th NY Assembly District – Rochester
- 50th NY Senate District – Syracuse Suburbs including Onondaga and Cayuga counties.
The Lowest unit rate period for the special elections began on April 24th.
Click HERE for next story
Click HERE for previous story