On Monday, the Democratic members of the NY State Board of Elections decided to cancel the Democratic Presidential Primary that was originally scheduled for June 23rd. The cancellation was in response to the COVID-19 epidemic.
The primary elections for other federal and state offices will be held as planned on June 23, 2020. The starting date for the Lowest Unit Rate period for the down ballot primaries will remain on May 9th.
In addition the special elections in the following districts will go on as planned:
- 27thCongressional District – Formerly occupied by Congressman Chris Collins. This includes Orleans, Genesee, Wyoming and Livingston Counties, as well as parts of Monroe, Niagara and Ontario counties.
- 12th NY Assembly District – Long Island including Northport, Huntington and Melville.
- 31stNY Assembly District – Long Island Queens County including the Far Rockaway’s
- 136th NY Assembly District – Rochester
- 50thNY Senate District – Syracuse Suburbs including Onondaga and Cayuga counties.
The Lowest unit rate period for the special elections began on April 24th.
This will likely lower voter turnout, especially in districts where there are no hotly contested primaries.
Click HERE for next story
Click HERE for previous story