The Poynter Institute’s Al Tompkins will host this important webinar. This webinar will teach journalists strategies for defending themselves against accusations of fake news, including what to ask yourself when evaluating information and methods for identifying fake content on social media.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN:
- The four key questions to ask to evaluate information
- How to detect fake documents, photos and social media posts
- Fighting unintended bias in the words and images we choose
- How fakers generate credible content
- The surprising truth about “crisis actors” and “fake flag” attacks
- The dark web and online back alleys where fakers fake
The webinar is offered for free to NYSBA members in Good standing.
Steps to Enroll
The Power of Critical Thinking to Fight Fake News
- Go to www.NewsU.org and log in if you already have an account, or Create A New Account. This process will auto-generate a confirmation email message. You must respond to that email using the link provided to establish your account and enter a password of your choice.
- Once you have a NewsU account, you can log in and go to the My NewsU tab in the orange banner across the top section of the page. This is your homepage and has links to all your NewsU courses.
- Go to the course homepage for The Power of Critical Thinking to Fight Fake News (Private)
- On the right side, under Course Overview, you will see a blue button that says Enroll Now. Click on that button to place the course in your cart.
- In the Shopping Cart page, click Checkout.
- The Checkout screen will require the Billing Information marked by an asterisk* to complete your order. Scroll down to the section for Promo Code. Enter in the code 18CTWEB100NYSTATE and hit Apply To Order for the discount to take effect.
- Continue to Review Order.
- Verify that all information is correct. Hit the Submit Order button to finish enrollment. Please wait, your order may take up to 3 minutes to complete. Do not double click the button, refresh or navigate away from the page.
Click HERE for next story
Click HERE for previous story