The National Guard is more than just a great way to serve your country. It’s also one of the very best places to find excellent career training.
March 8, 2018
SUMMARY: The Role of the HEALTH REPORTER/PRODUCER is a multi-media journalist with solid entrepreneurial reporting skills who can produce balanced and engaging content on issues of importance to the Rochester community.
The health reporter/producer will report daily news and enterprise pieces ranging from consumer health issues, to in-depth reporting on health policy and systems. The opioid epidemic, which is an important issue in upstate NY, will be important to this beat, as will thoughtful coverage of the impact of national and state health policy on the greater Rochester areas. This position may occasionally contribute general assignment reports as well.
This reporter also contributes regularly to coverage of issues which impact people with disabilities. The “Inclusion Desk,” coverage includes features and spot news stories.
The Health Reporter/Producer also contributes to WXXI’s citizen engagement efforts and social media endeavors.
1. Work closely with news director and on-air hosts to generate compelling radio, television, and on-demand news programming that is responsive to current events and emerging issues. Actively cultivate sources throughout the community, taking special care to include under-represented and diverse voices.
2. Create and post visual, text, audio and social media content for multimedia news distribution channels. Participate in digital-first content creation.
3. Conduct regular research on issues affecting Rochester and the surrounding region
4. Work collaboratively with external and internal partners on special projects such as citizen engagement initiatives, election night coverage, and major breaking events.
5. Participate in membership drives, auctions, and other WXXI fundraising and events as required.
6. Other duties as assigned
1. Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
2. 2+ years of journalism experience, preferably in a public broadcasting field.
3. Excellent broadcast news writing skills
4. Digital audio production experience.
5. Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content on deadline.
6. Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or send to: WXXI, 280 State Street, Rochester, NY 14614
WXXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity. (EOE)