WKBW-TV, owned by The E.W. Scripps Company and the ABC affiliate station in Buffalo, NY, is accepting applications for the following position. Log on to www.scripps.com/careers to apply for all positions. EOE
The purpose of the Director is to technically direct fast-paced, complex newscasts and other local programming as well as assist in completion of pre-production for newscasts.
- Work closely with news department, directors, producers, and promotions to ensure that the desired on-air look is attained with a minimal amount of errors.
- Work in all areas of television production set up and adjust lighting, construct and dismantle sets.
- Direct assigned newscasts, which include “switching” newscasts and other productions, completing the pre-production for all newscasts and checking all sources prior to air.
- Work closely with news, promotions and community affairs departments.
- Supervise entire crew during the shift. Responsible for knowing the status of all live shots and content prior to a live newscast.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor’s degree in TV production or related preferred.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a director/technical director.
- Working knowledge of television station production equipment.
- AP ENPS and Ross Overdrive experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Must be familiar with all aspects of television production including audio, switching, digital effects, camera operation and shot composition, lighting, character generators, newsroom systems and production automation systems.
- Good working knowledge of computers.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities under extreme time constraints with poise and skill.
- Solid leadership skills.
- Excellent knowledge of proper composition, grammar and spelling.
- Must have excellent communication skills; ability to give directions in a clear, efficient manner.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Capable of working well with commercial clients while adding a creative look to commercial spots.
- Must be a team player.
- Constant viewing of multiple video and computer monitors. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Flexible work hours required, including holidays, weekends, evenings and possible overtime hours.